RAM analysis of LNG facilitiesDOWNLOAD THE BROCHURE
In the global market, Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) is now seen as a preferred energy source.
As demand continues to surge, ensuring uninterrupted supply and delivery of LNG to consumers requires efficient and reliable storage at liquefaction and regasification facilities.
Spare capacity may be provided for strategic reasons, but LNG storage tanks are generally sized according to the carrier fleet available and the required gas throughput. Any delay in delivery, or downtime during operation, will have a direct impact on the ability to meet demand.
DNV supports owners and operators in managing these risks by performing third-party verification and technology qualification during LNG storage tank design and construction, and asset risk management for tanks already in operation.
Concept and feasibility
The industry is developing new technology to keep pace with the increasing size of LNG storage tanks, and in response to widespread pressure to reduce procurement schedules and costs. Novel concepts are constantly being developed and operators need to assess the feasibility of these solutions.
DNV technology qualification services help customers prove these such innovations work as intended. They include:
- Technology qualification management
- Technical analysis and simulations
- Failure mode identification and risk ranking
- Materials technology and laboratory testing.
Design, construction, installation and commissioning
DNV provides third-party verification for quality assurance and risk reduction, and to minimize the risk of delays during construction or disruptions during operation. It may also be required by national regulations.
DNV verification services include:
- Review of project design basis for compliance with standards (EN 1473, EN 14620, NPFA 59A, ACI 376, API 620, CSA-Z276, etc.)
- Review of analysis and design reports
- Review of drawings for compliance with design intent
- Independent spot checks and analyses (if required)
- Construction phase follow-up and inspection
- Issuing Statements of Compliance.
Operations, life extension and decommissioning
International design standards recognize the importance of security of supply, and that LNG storage facilities are mission-critical in life-safety terms.
LNG storage tanks are designed with higher reliability requirements than most onshore structures, but do not always perform as intended. DNV supports owners and operators by performing carrying out technical asset integrity assessments when the asset risk to health, safety, and the environment needs to be established.
These assessments are also used to inform operational contingency planning, including inspection and monitoring.
DNV asset risk management services include:
- Safety integrity assessments for scenarios that were not considered in the original design concept
- Presentations to regulatory authorities, addressing the life-safety and environmental implications of failure
- Development of monitoring systems and inspection training of operational personnel
- Gap analysis to evaluate compliance with updated/new standards.