Cyber Secure class notation
Odd Magne Nesvåg
Head of Section
Get in touch with your local officeFind office details
DNV GL offers owners and operators a framework to improve and demonstrate their cyber resilience and to prevent downtime.
Due to the increasing complexity of vessels’ digital systems, along with new safety risks for the system, crew and passengers, it is essential to establish sufficient and correctly performed cyber security barriers.
Our new Cyber secure class notation
The new Cyber secure class notation from DNV GL establishes a baseline to address cyber security levels for the main functions of a vessel – either in operation or during construction. It comprises different qualifiers:
- Basic is primarily intended for ships in operation
- Advanced is primarily intended for newbuilds, where cyber security will be included and integrated into the vessel design
- + [Plus] is intended for extra systems that are not part of the standard scope
The Basic and Advanced qualifiers cover a number of essential systems, including propulsion, steering, navigation, power generation and others. The qualifier + [Plus] can be added to the Basic and Advanced qualifiers or be applied on its own. It gives owners and operators the flexibility to identify the threats and to assess and secure extra systems which are of particular importance to their operations.
All qualifiers describe the process for implementing cyber security onboard the vessel, for asset owners and operators, system integrators (e.g. yards) and equipment manufacturers. The notation’s security levels are based on the international technical standard IEC and have been adapted for the maritime industry
What you can get with our class notation
Be prepared to prevent unauthorized system intrusions with DNV GL's Cyber secure class notation:
- Fewer risks of security threats
- Reduced downtime related to cyber risks
- Proof of a cyber security level for your vessel for better contract options with third-party charterers and oil majors
- Better control of your systems
- Regular audits to verify continued compliance and to focus on upcoming cyber security threats
- Increased cyber security awareness of the crew