FSSC 22000 version 5 – Food safety system certification scheme
Key Customer Manager
Already know what you are looking for?Request for quote
Securing food safety standards within the production process of the supply chain.
FSSC 22000 is a food safety certification scheme based on the existing internationally recognized standard ISO 22000 and complemented by technical standards, such as ISO TS 22002-1 for food manufacturing and ISO TS 22002-2 for packaging manufacturing.
It specifically targets the food, feed and packaging manufacturing sector as well as the storage and distribution, catering and retail/wholesale sectors. In addition, it takes into consideration the Global Food Safety Initiative’s (GFSI) requirements. While the first editions of FSSC 22000 only applied to food manufacturers, the scope for version 5 has been extended to other segments of the supply chain.How can FSSC 22000 improve your business?
FSSC 22000 provides:
- A powerful management system framework fully integrated in the company’s overall management system. With version 5 it is also fully consistent with other standards, such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 (including the alignment with ISO High Level Structure).
- A robust Hazard Analysis and Risk Management methodology based on HACCP principles and ability to improve food safety effectiveness and efficiency.
- The use of the technical specification, such as ISO TS 22002-1 for food manufacturing, concerning the pre-requisite programmes, as requested by ISO 22000 8.2 and fitting the needs of customers along the supply chain for the due diligence and related issues.
How can I prepare for certification or transition to FSSC 22000 version 5?
The process described in FSSC 22000 includes the following steps:
- Identify, evaluate, and control the food safety hazards that may be expected to occur in order to avoid harming the consumer directly or indirectly.
- Communicate appropriate information through the food chain regarding safety issues related to the product.
- Communicate information concerning development, implementation and updating of the food safety management system throughout the organization.
- Systematic determination and monitoring of the business context (external and internal issues) and needs and expectations of interested parties.
- Strengthened emphasis on leadership and management commitment.
- Risk management to determine, consider and, where necessary, take action to address any risks that may impact the ability of the management system to deliver its intended results.
- Evaluate periodically and update, when necessary, the food safety management system.
- Development, implementation and certification of a food safety management system is a continuous journey, with the independent audit representing one element of the total assessment process.
Let us help you with the certification process
Whether you are already certified or looking for a new certification, DNV GL can support you. Our auditors perform gap-analysis, to help you understand your best route to certification. We also provide training on FSSC 22000 version 5, ISO 22000:2018 and relevant technical standards for sector specific PRPs.